Bulgarian guitarist and multi-instrumentalist Alexandra Zerner has released her third full-length album. Entitled Opus 1880, this concept double album, consists of 22 tracks with a total running time of two hours. The music on this album is combined with a sci-fi novel, written by Alexandra Zerner and Slav Georgiev, which is the actual story that the album is based on. Thus, it can be considered as a progressive rock opera, similar to the music from Ayreon and Dream Theater’s album The Astonishing.
Opus 1880 was released via PledgeMusic as a pre-order campaign, which exceeded 165% at the time of the release. Alexandra Zerner is rated as Top 10 Female Shredders. In the album Alexandra Zerner recorded all the instruments, except the guest musicians’ parts. There are many accomplished guest musicians on Opus 1880.
- Angel Wolf-Black (Vivaldi Metal Project) – vocals on “Chaos of Cards”, “The Oracle”, “Quest of Light”, “The Sound of Dreaming”, “Questions”, Letter to Nowhere”, “Pinch of Time”, “The Missed Dance”, and “Master of Lightning”
- Bobby Koelble (Death) – lead guitars on “Desaturation Point”
- Franck Hermanny (Adagio) – bass on “Electric Kisses”
- Gretchen Menn – lead guitars on “Unfairlytale”
- Iavor Pachovski (Yuvigi) – lead synth on “Master of Lightning”
- Ivan Ivanov (Velian) – vocals & narration on “Overture”, “The Oracle”, “Questions”, “Master of Lightning”, and “Sensosphere”
- Misha Iliev – vocals on “Dolphins”
- Mistheria (Vivaldi Metal Project, Bruce Dickinson & others) – piano on “The Sound of Dreaming”
- Nora Kalcheva (The Strings) – cello on “The Sound of Dreaming”
- Svetlana Bliznakova (Sevi) – vocals on “The Other Side of the Sky, Pt.1 & 2”
Alexandra Zerner is born in Sofia in Bulgaria and are a solo artist, guitar player, multi-instrumentalist and composer. She has been working as a session musician, sound engineer and guitar teacher since 2001. In 2013, she participated as a guest musician to the We All Die (Laughing)’s first album Thoughtscanning. In January 2014, she started her solo career as a guitarist, working on her debut solo album 9 Stories, which was released on November 19, 2014.
In October 2014, Alexandra Zerner is already in the Top 15 Hard Rock & Metal Female Guitar Shredders chart by Metalholic.com. At the beginning of 2015, she was invited by Déhà Amsg to be a part of the Post-Rock/Ambient project Aurora Borealis, where they together made the album The Path To Atlas. It was released on November 20, 2015. The same year, Alexandra Zerner began working on her second solo album, called Aspects, released on December 22, 2015. Meanwhile, she was mentioned by her guitar hero Jason Becker in the October 2015 edition of Guitar Playermagazine, along with Jeff Loomis, about her cover of Jason Becker’s classic Perpetual Burn.
In January 2016, Alexandra started participating in Vivaldi Metal Project as a lead guitarist. On November 4th she becomes an endorser of the Bulgarian brand Univox Guitars and gets her custom 8-string guitar model.